Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rant Series - Elections

This is a hot topic, and inspired by a couple exchanges with people over the last few months, in real life and online.
Rant series - ELECTIONS

Shut up. No, really - SHUT UP all of you! Yes, ALL! Even the People For O. I know - it's amazing and appalling, isn't it? I want the Obama supporters to shut up! We all know Obama is The Savior of The United States of America! How can I tell them to shut up??

Because I'm fucking sick of the lot of you.

And by "you", I mean McCain supporters, too, so wipe that smug look of your faces.

I am stating, emphatically, that I don't like ANY of the candidates...at least, the frontrunners. I see the positives and negatives in both, but none sway me. And Palin just outright scares and disgusts me - she's the worst of the four.

However, more than their views and what "CHANGE" they want (because they both want CHANGE), what disgusts and appalls me more is the supporters for each side. The cries of "racist", "terrorist". The oh-how-terribly-urbane-and-sly-am-I "McSame" and "McBush" and "McPalin" word plays.

Mostly what disturbs me is how rabid the Obama people seem to be. If you're not for Obama, you're against the U.S., you're racist, you're..well, just downright ridiculous and stupid, aren't you?

Calling me racist is ridiculous, as anyone who knows me IRL will attest to. I probably wouldn't even care if it came out that Obama is, in reality, Muslim, because I don't believe what the gub'mint tells me about "all" Muslims. Religion should have no place in politics, which is why Palin scares me, and to some extent, McCain.

Discussing Obama with someone inevitably leads to arguing with somebody about Obama, because they can't seem to keep their cool. As soon as you say you're not "for" him, they take it as a personal insult and are instantly on the attack.
Chill the fuck out.
This is why I can't stand talking about politics. The slightest whiff of anti-O, and they're off. They cannot - CANNOT - hold civilized discussions. They resort to name-calling and/or turn around the argument to McCain, who they bash with glee. There is no discussion. It's not possible. They cite all sorts of facts and figures, and then dismiss anything you might counter with. If I say McCain supporters cars were keyed, or signs were stolen, they retort with "And THAT'S supposed to be the same as calling Obama a terrorist?!"
Well, no - I never said it was. I just said that BOTH SIDES ARE WAY TOO OUT OF HAND, and should chill out. I cited instances that I PERSONALLY knew about, instead of reported stories.

So. In summary. I don't like McCain. I don't like Obama. I really dislike Palin. I don't much care about Biden. I won't vote for either candidate, no matter how much that galls you - I actually have the RIGHT (*gasp!*) to vote for someone else! Imagine! The freedom to vote. Whodathunkit?

Now please - don't talk politics with me. Or at me. I think everyone is out of hand and should shut up, and that includes you. And you. And yes - even you.

And me, too.

No comments: